The Learning Center, located in Ritzinger Hall Room 236, offers free tutoring in a variety of subjects on a drop-in basis. You do not need to make an appointment. Our staff is made up of peer, faculty, and staff tutors. The Learning Center promotes active and collaborative learning in a comfortable and supportive environment to help you get the most out of your learning experience at UW-BC. Our goal is to help you develop the learning strategies you need to reach your academic potential as you become an independent, lifelong learner. Tutoring is available in the following areas:
English & Writing
A writing tutor can discuss with you: brainstorming for a paper; homework assignments; interpreting or explaining teacher commentary on a paper; reviewing and helping with drafts; research strategies; citation, quoting, summarizing, paraphrasing; grammar; style; resumes; letters of application; etc.
Writing tutors are available at the following times at the Learning Center: 236 Ritzinger Hall.
- Mondays: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 8:30 - 10:00 a.m., 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 8:30 - 10:00 am, 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Thursdays: 8:30 - 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
UW Colleges Online Writing Lab
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) affords UW Colleges students the opportunity to email drafts of their writing to the OWL staff and receive feedback from a peer writing tutor. OWL is part of the Study-Center Tutoring Program at UW-Waukesha, which is certified by the College Reading & Learning Association, and is offered as a free service to all UW Colleges students.
If you are struggling with math, there are peer tutors and instructors available at the following times in the Learning Center, 236 Ritzinger Hall.
- Mondays: 9 am – 4:00 pm
- Tuesdays: 9 - 10 am & 11 am - 2:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 9 am – 3 pm
- Thursdays: 9 - 10 am & 11 am - 2:30 pm
- Fridays: 9 am – 12 noon
If there is no one available in The Learning Center, look in Room R235 and ask for Scott.
The following resources may be helpful.
- West Texas A&M Virtual Math Lab
- Algebra Resources Galore
- Math Nerds
- Math Forum
- Cool Math
A peer tutor is not available for the sciences this semester.
If you need tutoring help in another subject area, please contact the following individuals:
Ritzinger Hall, Room R235
Meggers Hall, Room 135
Learning Resource Tools
- Desire2Learn: The course management system for UW Colleges.
- OWL (Online Writing Lab): Affords UW Colleges students the opportunity to email drafts of their writing to the OWL staff and receive feedback from a peer writing tutor. OWL is part of the Study-Center Tutoring Program at UW-Waukesha, which is certified by the College Reading & Learning Association, and is offered as a free service to all UW Colleges students.
- Wisconsin Integrated Software Catalog (WISC): Save up to 90% off retail prices on a variety of computer software packages.
- Higher Education Location Program (HELP): Provides information concerning admissions, majors and programs, careers, and other information for students, parents, and counselors.
Academic Success Program
The Academic Success Program works with students to help them achieve academic success and identify areas that are preventing them from achieving their academic goals at UW-Barron County.
Student Services works with students to provide them with the skills needed to be successful college students and establish short- and long-term goals to plan for their academic success. These skills (e.g., time management, study strategies, stress management) are received through a variety of workshops and/or through individual appointments.
If you would like help with developing study strategies and/or a plan for academic success, you can contact:
Academic Success Program Coordinator
Room 104 Meggers Hlal
234-8176 ext. 5432